Hostel Territory

So we've set off to Barcelona to live the dream and open our very own hostel. We're keeping this journal online to keep everyone updated of our progress, adventures and mishaps navigating Barcelona's booming tourism industry, Spanish bureaucracy, and daily life in Catalunya.

Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm toying with the idea of starting a website for video recommendations of restaurants, bars, and tourist sites in Barcelona. I figure reading a review and seeing pictures don't really give you the full impression. It's nice to see the lighting (Lee's obsession), the noise level, crowd level, etc. I think it'd be a really great way to review a place. And then we'll have space for user comments after they've visited the place.

I'm playing with different video hosting websites now and some other blogging tools (sorry blogger, but I'm not sure you can handle it). I'm a little concerned that we'll have some great stuff, but no one will know it's out there. Any good ideas on how to boost site visits/get our name out there once we're up and running? We're thinking of tying it in with the hostel and calling it something like Somnio Says. So stay tuned, and hopefully we'll have some fun content soon.

Any thoughts or ideas? Suggestions?

2 Comments:

  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, allow to convey the fact that we've put off grabbing a drink together for too long. I think we should absolutely make it a priority ;-)

    Secondarily, there are many ways you can accomplish your goal, but here are a few ideas before we grab that drink:

    1. Switch to wordpress. It is a stronger CSM platform that is more robust, safer and able to handle your needs.And in terms of transferring content, should be one click action.

    2. Regarding video, I would create a Youtube, Vimeo, and/or Blip account. You can then embed each video in the post. I would also consider 12 second videos as well, so that people can get a quick glimpse of your experiences throughout the day.

    3. Do you have a Twitter account. if not, I highly suggest getting on the ball and doing it. As you could provide invaluable info each day on where do go, what to do, as well as being a great contact for people visiting BCN.

    4. There is much more to consider, but that's my short answer at the moment ;-)

    Good Luck!

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hi Gabriella -

    Thanks so much for your thoughts! Yes, we definitely need to meet soon. I'm actually thinking about doing it on Tumblr. Thoughts on that vs. Wordpress? I've already set up Vimeo and YouTube accounts. I think the whole thing will be a learning process!

    I eat at so many great restaurants as it is and write short reviews for our hostel's website, that I think it'd be a fun side project to start working on.

    Hope everything's going well with you guys!

    Lauren

     

Post a Comment

<< Home