Hostel Territory

So we've set off to Barcelona to live the dream and open our very own hostel. We're keeping this journal online to keep everyone updated of our progress, adventures and mishaps navigating Barcelona's booming tourism industry, Spanish bureaucracy, and daily life in Catalunya.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

So, there's this storefront on the ground floor of the hostel that has, up to this point, not affected my life at all. When we signed the lease on the hostel, we were happy with our ground-floor neighbor, Mobelia, a nice, respectable, upscale furniture shop that maintained topiaries outside our door. Unfortunately, they moved out about six months ago and took the topiaries with them.

In the middle of the summer, the "for lease" signs disappeared downstairs and a mysterious construction project began. I've been poking my head in and trying to get as much info out of the construction peeps but it seems they know nothing. All we've been able to garner from the license that's posted is the name of the design firm behind the project. They are gutting the Mobelia showroom so I assume they're building a restaurant/bar. Normally, I'd be psyched about that but our previous apartment was three floors above a restaurant and let's just say, erm, we had some uh, unexpected "visitors" in our apartment that I attribute to the restaurant beneath. As you all know, we keep the hostel immaculate but I can't do anything to control the cleanliness of my neighbors.

To my relief/delight, when I came in this morning, there was a huge banner posted that said, "Coming Soon: Fastvínic". This is GREAT news because our current favorite neighbor on the block is this upscale, designy wine "foundation" called Monvínic. Lauren and I treat it as our personal wine bar and it's the best place to impress visitors. Also, I have no doubt their kitchen is spotless. I'm not sure yet what Fastvínic is but I have two theories:

1) It's the dressed-down, wine bar version of Monvínic. The current Monvínic is expressly not a wine bar (even though we treat it like one). Per their website, it's a "benchmark for the dissemination of wine culture". Whatever. Maybe Fastvínic is their casual younger sister who sometimes just wants wine without the pretense (or pony hair benches- Monvínic design fail and true story.)

2) It's the dressed-down, wine bar version of Monvínic in conjunction with the best burgers in Barcelona. Lauren just told me that my pick for the best burger in town, FastGood, just closed for business. Get it? FastGood + Monvínic = Fastvínic. It might be a stretch but here's hoping.

I'll keep you posted on any developments and my impending weight gain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home