Hostel Territory

So we've set off to Barcelona to live the dream and open our very own hostel. We're keeping this journal online to keep everyone updated of our progress, adventures and mishaps navigating Barcelona's booming tourism industry, Spanish bureaucracy, and daily life in Catalunya.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Oh man! What a morning at Somnio! This is my first morning shift back, and it could not have been more of a nightmare. Normally when I come in at 7am on Saturday, our night guy Mauro has his bags packed and is ready to run home to bed. So I was a little concerned when he wasn't in his normal spot upon my arrival. I heard some swishing noises in the hallway and wandered back to hear him yelling "Come here! You have to see this!" He's normally pretty dramatic, so I figured it was just a clogged toilet, maybe a little vomit.

No, he wasn't being over dramatic. Someone (ahem drunk italians in room 6) left the sink stopper in and the water running at full blast. Mauro thought someone was showering and didn't notice until the water started to come into the lobby. The entire left hallway was covered in about 2 cm of water. I opened the door to Room 10, the male dorm, and it was another 2 cm of standing water. Oh boy did panic set in. Mauro was calmly mopping the water up into a bucket. I picked up everyone's wet stuff strewn on the floor and went running for towels and to call Lee. Thank god 3 of the boys in the dorm were super understanding and very very helpful. I believe the others were too hungover/drunk to care. It took about an hour to get the water all up. Then I had to knock on other doors to see where else the water went. Fortunately Room 9 had a little water, but Room 8 was dry.

In the middle of it all Mauro asked if we're still happy we opened our "dream hostel." Ummm I'll get back to you on that one once my t-shirt dries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home