Hostel Territory

So we've set off to Barcelona to live the dream and open our very own hostel. We're keeping this journal online to keep everyone updated of our progress, adventures and mishaps navigating Barcelona's booming tourism industry, Spanish bureaucracy, and daily life in Catalunya.

Friday, April 09, 2010

So for those of you that don´t know, I´m starting an MBA program at Wharton in August. As a part of the enrollment process, Wharton requires that you pay for a background check into your previous employment, references, etc. Initially, I was annoyed when I had to pay for this myself, but then I was even more annoyed when the guy from the company informed me that he couldn´t get in touch with HR at HSBC and would I mind just sending him some old pay slips as proof of employment. Uh yeah, why don´t I just do your job for you?

Then I get another email today telling me that they haven´t been able to get in touch with Somnio Hostels, SL. (I haven´t seen any emails or faxes nor have I received any phone calls.) But, they´re asking if I can send them my contract, payslips, or some other documentation as proof of employment.

This strikes me as a little bit of a silly exercise. I tell Wharton where I worked. Then they make me pay a company to ask for proof from me of where I claim to have worked. How is that any type of unbiased, third party verification?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home