Hostel Territory

So we've set off to Barcelona to live the dream and open our very own hostel. We're keeping this journal online to keep everyone updated of our progress, adventures and mishaps navigating Barcelona's booming tourism industry, Spanish bureaucracy, and daily life in Catalunya.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

While yesterday was certainly a three-ring circus at the hostel, the highlight was definitely our trip to the doctor. As a part of the visa process, we need a sign-off from a medical professional stating that we're mentally and physically stable enough for this project. The mental stability still has yet to be determined but we submitted ourselves to blood tests for the physical.

Now, this is really not a big deal but it happens that Lauren is terrified of needles. When the doctor told us we'd need a blood test, Lauren went temporarily deaf. She turned to me, white as our new sheets with a horrified look on her face, "What did the doctor say, Lee? Did he say something about a needle?!" I had a flash back of our first cholesterol finger-prick test at ages 8 & 9, when two nurse's aides literally had to sit on little Lauren to get the deed done, and I think my complexion turned a bit ashen as well.

We took a few minutes to dry her cold sweat and get her heart rate down and I assured her this is no big deal and something we must do. I think she's really proud that she handled it like a big girl. I'm sure she'll post pictures of her bruised up arm later. Her purple badge of courage.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I smiled when I read "The mental stability still has yet to be determined..." it was realy funny. It reminded me of the same test I had to do before going to college. The doctor asked me a silly question and hence my reply was the same, and she wrote as the test result "he is mentally stable at present" and friends never ended laughing...gosh..it was just few years back.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lauren,
    I am the same way when I am about to faint - I go deaf first. Sorry to hear you have the same needle-phobia as I do. Hopefully it will be the last "stick" you need.
    I really enjoy reading about your progrss. It's amazing!

    Aunt Carol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home