Hostel Territory

So we've set off to Barcelona to live the dream and open our very own hostel. We're keeping this journal online to keep everyone updated of our progress, adventures and mishaps navigating Barcelona's booming tourism industry, Spanish bureaucracy, and daily life in Catalunya.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oops!

Today, I'm in the casa de perros. I neglected to change the account information on our electricity bill from the old tenant's and today they came and shut off our power. Thank God this was at our home and not at the hostel.

To be fair, I tried to change it in July. I called to pay our balance via credit card and to switch the account info but they wouldn't let me. In typical Spanish fashion, there were some hoops to jump through first:

1. I was told there was a pending bill which first had to be rejected by the old tenant's bank
2. Once the bill was rejected by their bank, I could go to my bank to pay the bill
3. Once the bill is paid, I have to wait 48 hours
4. Then, I can call again to give them my new credit card information

Are you serious? I thought it'd make more sense for the lady to change my account information right then and there but she refused. Of course I forgot about it and it was lights out for L&L.

Lauren's come to the rescue. She had to go to the electricity company to pay the bill. Now we're back at step 1. Who needs electricity anyhow? Maybe it's time to go green.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, sister, you are so not alone in your woes! We had a very similar issue happen to us earlier this year, and let me just say, we're still scarred from the experience :-) My patience with all Spanish utility companies is slim to nonexistent! You can read about it here: http://www.catavino.net/spain/a-thin-line-between-cultural-norms-and-complete-incompetence/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home